Monday, March 22, 2010

Just What I Said...Looking Like My Mama!


So with a little fear and slight trembling I did it- got my hair straightened and trimmed. The process was a pleasant experience- it was nice to have someone else caring for my hair for a change. My stylist was gentle with me and was sure to deep condition and use a heat protectant.

I was actually surprise by the length of my hair during the blow out...I knew that it was going to be long but this is the longest my natural hair has ever been excluding my luvlee 9-year old dread locs. So it was cool to see how much it had grown since my second big chop after locs!


The stylist detangled gently and I lost about the same amount of hair as when I detangle at home so that was cool, though I must admit when she did get to flat ironing that is when I got a little uncomforatable...the smell of my hair burning (not frying) was bothersome...it has been so long since I have associated that smell with my head...it kind of turns my stomach when I smell my daugther FRYING her hair or when I am in the vicinity of a salon. Interesting how all that is foreign to me now when the beauty shop was home away from home.

As for the results...though she did an excellent job, I was underwhelmed at how straight hair looks on me...I really think I look rather abnormal. There are some women who can work both straight and curly hair, there are some women I see with straight hair that I think (to myself) you REALLY should go natural!




As for me, straight hair is just not me. Doesn't fit with my personality or personal style...my teenagers said, "mom, we like you with big, curly hair" most of my co-workers were like..."it's cute" or "ummm no." My homeslice from Pakistan said, "I hate to sound white but I really like your straight hair." We laughed and I told her what she saw that day she would likely see no more, she sighed, I smiled...all the way back to curly! Thank GOD ALMIGHTY the curls bounced right back!


2 comments:

  1. I think the straight hair looked good, but you are correct, not you at all. If I did not know you I would say yes, it is nice, but since I am fully aware of what goes on below those locks (or as much as I have seen in working with you) it does not match you. Keep on with the curl, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your blog! and your curly hair!

    Have a nice time!
    Paula

    ReplyDelete